PDF Cowan Lake Feasibility Study- P&N Feasibility Study
Cowan Lake Sewer Project Letter- Kent County Health Department Letter
Cowan Lake Sewer- Cowan Lake Association Presentation
Grant Application- Township Submitted Grant Application
Letter for Grant- Letter For Cowan Lake Grant


Fleis&Vandenbrink )F&V) click here

Prein&Newhof click here



Cowan Resolution No 2018-020 click here
Cowan Resolution No 2018-021 click here
Cowan Resolution No 2018-022 click here
Cowan Resolution No 2018-024 click here
Cowan Class A Parcel Notice click here
Cowan Class B Parcel Notice click here

Cowan Lake Progress Meeting June 16, 2020 click here

Cowan Lake Progress Meeting December 8, 2020 click here

Drawing D1


Hooking up your building drain to the new simplex grinder station.        July 14, 2020

  1. As shown on the print the home owner will be responsible for spanning the distance between the home drain out to the grinder station. This could be a few feet to quite a few feet depending on where your station is located in your yard. The depth of the line will need to be set for the proper fall from the existing home drain to the new grinder station. The contractor needs to keep at least 40.5 inches from the station bottom to the bottom of the inlet where the home drain attaches. (See drawing D1).
  2. A trench will have to be dug between the home drain (shown on plan as “ex. Sewer”) and the site of the mounting hole for the hub. The trench will have to be tapered to provide “fall” for the new line going to the house. A length of Schedule 40 PVC will have to be provided to span this distance and a coupler to hook up to the home drain.
  3. The hub and rubber gasket for 4 inch PVC will be zip tied in the station. A 5 inch hole will have to be cut into the wall of the station for the hub to be mounted. The height of this hole from the bottom of the station is important. (See diagram).
  4. A partial sand fill under and around the new line is highly recommended.
  5. Before the trench is back filled a maintenance man from Infrastructure Alternatives must inspect the new line for proper attachment of the fittings. All other requirements of the new line will be the responsibility of the home owner in conjunction with the contractor hired by the home owner. A 24 hour notice must be given prior to the inspection. Failure to have your new line inspected will require uncovering the line at the inspector’s convenience; the cost of which will be added to the home owners bill.
  6. Restoration of the ground surface will be up to the home owner.

NOTES: The contractor that does the work of septic abandonment may very well be capable and willing to install this line for you. A plumbing permit is not required but the inspection is. (See #5 above). Plumbers can be hired for this work as well.
Each home owner will have one year to abandon their septic tank after the new sewer is done and ready for use. Timing for disconnecting your old septic and hooking up to the new sewer will be important as you can imagine.
Appointments were requested to allow the contractor, Midwest Trenchless Service, to come to your home and help you locate the new grinder station. If you have not done this please give me a call.
A Township hook-up permit is required for all new hook-ups. For additional information regarding the permit please contact Carol Treynor, Deputy Treasurer, at 616-691-8450, M-Th. 9-4 p.m.

      Electrical Requirements For New Grinder Station:

  1. When the work to install the grinder station is complete you will have a control box mounted on the side of your house that controls the new grinder station.
  2. All of the electrical information is listed on the attached plan and you will be responsible for inspecting your current service panel in the house to determine if it is capable of handling the new control panel. You may want to hire an electrician if you have any doubts or lack of understanding of what is required. Reviewing your service panel can be done at any time prior to completion of the sewer system. If upgrades to your panel are required you will need to obtain an Electrical Permit from the Township before starting the work. Drawing D1 shown should be helpful in this regard.